Embrace your inner greenie and celebrate International Earth Day at Discovery Markets on Saturday, April 22nd!
Discover Earth Day, held at 8 Brodie Spark Drive, Wolli Creek on Saturday, April 22nd, is a special Discovery Markets event promoting environmental sustainability and greater awareness of our impact on the earth.
From 9am-3pm, environmental workshops and displays will feature alongside the market's usual 30+ delicious hot food stalls, food producers, artisan makers and designers.
In addition to running a community book exchange on the day (where visitors can exchange pre-loved books for their next page-turner), the market's organisers have teamed up with a number of esteemed collaborators to make the day possible - including Work-Shop Australia (who are curating a recycled pallet and composting workshop for local residents) and The Bower Reuse & Repair Centre (hosting a recycled art and jewellery demonstration).
- Arncliffe Men's Shed: They will be running their 'Fix-it' van across the day. Bring any and all household item to be mended, and also learn how to make a bird box for your backyard.
- Wolli Creek Preservation Society: They will have an interactive stall open all day. Learn about how you can be active in your local area to keep things green and fresh and also learn a bit of history about where you live.
- Bayside City Council: Wild Things Project: Families are very welcome down to the first of two Bayside City Council run stalls - Kids and parents alike can learn about all of the wild life around their homes and how they can house them - including how to make a home for your local bees.
- Bayside City Council: Water Waste and Recycling Games: The best way to learn about water, waste and recycling is to get your hands dirty doing it - Bayside City Council's second stall will have interactive journeys for kids to learn all about how the waste world works.
- Oz Harvest - Household Harvest: If you have any fresh food, breads, jams, sauces, canned goods and other food products that you would like to donate to Oz Harvest, they will have a donation stall set up on the day for you to drop off your items to be collected at 3:00pm. Please leave all refrigerated items at home.
- Discover Book Exchange: They will have a book exchange library set up on the day - all you need to do is bring along a read that you have read and re-read and you can swap it for a new read to read! A 1-for-1 policy will be loosely in place.
- Optus Rockdale: Recycle your phones: The crew from Optus - Rockdale will have a recycle bin for all of your used phones - so bring along all Nokia 3210's and the like that the early 2000's version of yourself is still clinging on to. NOTE: 2 G connections no longer exist in Australia - it is time to let go.
Bower Re-use and repair centre: Will be running their Kids Recycled Art and Sculpture Workshop inside St Magdalene's Chapel from 10:00am - 12:00pm. Kids and parents alike, please come down for some recycled fun and learn how to turn household items destined for the tip into art for the wall or mantle piece!
Work-Shop Australia: Work-shop Australia will be running some some great sessions on how to create a sustainable garden, no matter the size of your backyard (or even if you don't have one)! These will be running from 10:00 - 11:00am and again from 1:00pm - 2:00pm so come and get your hands sustainably dirty!
For those who love to cycle, there will be a bike valet available on the day (so leave the gas guzzler at home!).
Discover Earth Day is being run in conjunction with Bayside City Council and Frasers Property as part of the inaugural Bayside Arts Festival.
Discovery Markets are held at Discovery Point, Wolli Creek on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month. For more information, visit the Discovery Markets website at www.discoverymarkets.com.au and follow them on Facebook and Instagram.